[ale] Riddle me this

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jul 15 13:30:51 EDT 2013

On 07/15/2013 12:57 PM, Adrya Stembridge wrote:

> FYI, Amazon Prime also plays on Linux.

No. It doesn't - or it didn't two weeks ago. Amazon changed their DRM sometime
in April. Since then it doesn't work on stock Linux systems.

There is a thread of Prime members complaining - actually about 20 threads.
Seems that Prime was very popular with the XBMC crowd (including me).  A B-i-L
got all his Prime video content purchases refunded when they changed the DRM
method.  He dumped the XBMC box and bought 2 AppleTVs. He was tired of screwing
around and not getting end-user-level-support.  The AppleTVs have issues too,
but Amazon Prime works.

Can't say that I blame him.  I got a Roku to access Prime stuff, but haven't
been home to do anything more than break the sign-up/login process and open a
support case with Roku.

If anyone has a reasonable work-around for XBMC to access Amazon Prime, I'm all
ears, will document everything and publish it.  Reasonable does NOT include
WINE.  It needs to work on fairly low-powered Atom/AMD-E class CPUs.

I've told a few people, but suppose it is time to announce it to my friends here
- my 82 yr old Mother died last Sunday after a long illness. It was expected
"any time" and she had been getting worse the last few months. Thankfully, she
didn't linger on and on.

This is why I missed the ALE-NW meeting so Rich and Orlando had to fill in last
minute. Sorry to the folks looking forward to the Linux Desktop Security
UN-Meeting. We will reschedule.

If my responses have seemed a little more brain dead than usual, you'll
understand why and give me a little leeway, please.