[ale] Old host you want to unload?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 10:14:06 EDT 2013

Ok, I'm at a desk and not on a phone.

Let's sort of set the stage, if you will, to clarify a few things.

First, I've raised two boys into their 20's and done this all before.
Second, I've got a metric crapload of snort processing scripts I've written that watch for all manner of icky URL matches on "requested sites" and also on Squid's logs to do the same.  I took the stance with the boys of "trust but verify" which is a very "apple-storeish" thing to do.  I had transgressions once by each boy that got addressed personally and quietly and have managed (aside from the occasional pop-up storm) to keep them "porn free" if you will as long as they've been under my roof.  Anything they've managed outside of the house is beyond the scope of my purview, of course, but they pay for their own phones now… I can't "control" their intake forever.

Now I'm on "kids 2.0" with my second wife, and they're all girls and at ages 3, 6, and 10.  The 10 year old has an internet-capable device,  so, I'm putting the same system back in place with the same scripts and logging and automated emails and such.  However, their mother wants the added protection of content filtering for a couple of years until "aunt flo" arrives and she can halve "talk 1.0" with her, but also wanting to know what was requested and by what mechanism.  Ipcop to the rescue again…you can say "no" via automated system, but it's considerably more important to know what is being asked for and how.  Was it typed in?  Why is the child interested in that particular topic?  (etc. etc.)

Also, having all these folks on the network at home while "mom & dad" work from home a lot requires packet-shaping of the Xbox and Rou down and web traffic/SSH up.  Also, when on the road, I need to be able to VPN into my private network from anywhere to do something even so small as printing a doc for my wife all the way to rooting around my internal net for various reasons.  (i.e., you can't hit the time machine from the outside)

So, a smallish box with modest means to run a couple hundred meg distro for firewalling seemed to be the way to go for us… that's why I asked.

TL;DR.  (I've done this before.. I just need hardware)

Something else on the topic…. I re-read and it appeared I was *only* asking for "free" stuff… I'm not. If you've got something hogging space and you're under a "nag order" to get rid of it, please do think of me first.  And if it requires a few bucks, that's good too.  I just wanted to work with you guys who may need a few bucks first before giving that cash to $company making cheap crap in China.  I'd rather buy the cheap crap from you instead.  XD

--j