[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon account

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 01:07:33 EDT 2013

On 7/14/13 2:50 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> This message is for those of you, if any, who have verizon and
> don't have any smart phones on your plan.  I have an old family
> share plan with two dumb phones, 750 shared minutes, and 250 text
> messages on one phone.  I talked to a verizon rep yesterday to see
> what my smartphone options are.
>
> For purposes of this discussion, I'm talking about bringing my own
> used device rather than buying one from verizon.
>
> One option they rave about is the share everything unlimited plan.
> For this, the dumb phone costs $ 30 / mo, the smart phone costs $
> 40 / mo, and the 2 GB (used to be 3) data plan costs $ 60 / mo.
> So, that totals to $ 130 / mo.
>
> However, the rep said I could actually keep my old plan, which
> costs $ 75 / mo, and add a smart phone for $ 30 / mo.  So, that
> only adds up to $ 105 / mo.  So, while I would not have unlimited
> minutes and texts, and would still have 2 GB of data, that's $ 25 /
> mo cheaper. I don't know if I'll do this, since I can still use my
> tablet at wifi hotspots.  But, I thought I'd pass it along.

Depending on your devices, you might be interested in something I've
switched to:

PagePlus for cell/text access (uses Verizon network). Looks like you
are carrying two phones, depending on usage, you might get individual
plans for cheaper.

I'm personally on the 12 plan because I also can and do use SIP +
Google Voice since work and home have good wifi.

Millenicom for portable 3G/4G hotspot via their "Hotspot Plan" 69.99.
This plan uses the Verizon network as well.

$82, 20Gb of data to use outside of home/work, and the ability to
share that with many of my devices without ticking the carrier off,
and 250min/250 texts.  More than enough connectivity.

This compares to my full Verizon plan for my Thunderbolt at $79, which
had the "unlimited" 5Gb data and because I was grandfathered in that
plan, no right (by contract) to tether on that plan.

Brian