[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon account

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Jul 14 14:50:46 EDT 2013

This message is for those of you, if any, who have verizon and don't have any smart phones on your plan.  I have an old family share plan with two dumb phones, 750 shared minutes, and 250 text messages on one phone.  I talked to a verizon rep yesterday to see what my smartphone options are.

For purposes of this discussion, I'm talking about bringing my own used device rather than buying one from verizon.

One option they rave about is the share everything unlimited plan.  For this, the dumb phone costs $ 30 / mo, the smart phone costs $ 40 / mo, and the 2 GB (used to be 3) data plan costs $ 60 / mo.  So, that totals to $ 130 / mo.

However, the rep said I could actually keep my old plan, which costs $ 75 / mo, and add a smart phone for $ 30 / mo.  So, that only adds up to $ 105 / mo.  So, while I would not have unlimited minutes and texts, and would still have 2 GB of data, that's $ 25 / mo cheaper.  I don't know if I'll do this, since I can still use my tablet at wifi hotspots.  But, I thought I'd pass it along.

Sincerely,

Ron