[ale] OT have some questions about vpn security

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 17:32:08 EDT 2013

The password only accesses the VPN key. The key sets VPN "strength" based
on type of encryption and length as well as establishes user identity as
the key is signed. For SSL tunnels, the key is used to establish security
for the initial handshakes then SSL protocols take over. A symmetric key is
exchanged through the handshake that is long, strong and changeable on a
regular basis throughout the life of the tunnel. The best pattern is to
expire a symmetric key before enough data has passed to seed a successful
crack attempt. Before it expires, a new key is generated and exchanged.