[ale] Giving Independence Another Try with ownCloud 5.x

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 22:21:00 EDT 2013

Hey folks,

I'm not much of a network admin, but with the promises of ownCloud is
forcing my hand in that direction. I saw some conversations late last year
about it in this mailing list. Has anyone had a really good go at it? Like
many of you I've struggled with hosting my own content vs. the convenience
of Google or Dropbox.

I'm at that point where I'm going to give it another go. I installed
ownCloud at http://cloud.digitalalias.net/owncloud and so far it's pretty
cool. At the moment I'm on a shared hosting plan so I have to contact my
guys for EVERYTHING! I guess the ideal would be to host my own NAT and
remote into it.

My biggest concern (again not being a real network admin) is security. I
think I can move my data directory behind the "public_html" folder and then
I need to figure out SSL.

--
*Marc Ferguson*

www.fergytech.com | www.digitalalias.net

*"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"*