[ale] OT need 600-1000W power protection for 3 minutes - cheap

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 9 11:45:13 EDT 2013

Hi all,

To be honest, I need to save some money for this project, since, when
spending $ 200 at a time, and multiple times, it adds up.  But, I hope
to implement it soon.  I might be able to buy one new unit, and reduce
the load on one pc to use my old ups with that.  Not sure yet.

The more I think about my loads, the more I think I need a 1500 VA / ~
900W unit.  A 1200VA/~700W unit might do it, but most product lines seem
to jump to 1500 VA after 1000 VA.

The last time I bought a UPS, it was from Frys.  I have no complaints,
but you do pay sales tax and probably an intrinsically higher price.
The advantage is easier returns if needed.  I can't believe it, but I am
actually considering mail ordering a UPS.  I understand from Amazon
reviews on some, that you have to pay to ship it back to the factory if
there is a problem, which can be expensive.

Based on prior discussions and my experience, I know APC is a good
brand.  I also understand that, for the "smart" units, it can be hard to
get linux to talk to it, if you want to use the auto shutdown software
like apcupsd.  I think you guys told me before that Tripplite is good,
so I may look at those.  Based on some amazon reviews and prior comments
here, it sounds like I should stay away from Cyberpower.

I think it's total marketing rubbish that they rate these things by VA
primarily.  My computer is currently pulling 539 VA and 532 W, according
to the Kill-A-Watt EZ, with a power factor of .98.  The UPS I have is an
SMT-750 so you would think it could handle the load.  But NO, that's 750
VA.  The watts are limited to 500, so the thing yells like crazy if I
run this load on it.  (So I don't.)  So, it should be labeled SMT-500!
That unit was capable of handling the load before I upped the load.
Yes, I do know what VA means.  It's just difficult to remember to cut
whatever number I see on the box almost in half to get a realistic load.

Charles, thanks for the links.  I'll keep the buy batteries local idea
in mind.  Might not be necessary with Amazon's free shipping.

It's nice to see that the major makers are starting to come out with
some bigger units, with some smarts, with more reasonable price tags.

That Fry's link you posted is actually quite interesting.  I found it's
bigger brother on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373381258&sr=1-1&keywords=br1500g

APC's different model numbers are confusing.  For example, I don't know
the difference between a BR and a BX unit.

This unit is a 1500 VA / 865 W unit, with lcd (or led or something)
status display, and AVR (automatic voltage regulation [very cool]); for
$ 179 with free shipping and no sales tax.  This unit has a BR part number.

This is at a price point / capacity point that's really starting to get
my attention.

Here's a similar unit at Frys.

http://www.frys.com/product/5955004?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It has a BX part number.  Go figure.  The capacity is the same, but it's
$ 210, or $ 225 after sales tax.

In any case, much better than the $ 500 Frys wants for the SMT-1500.
So, I guess the big question is, what do I give up by going with the
BR/BG 1500 and saving $ 300 versus the SMT-1500?  I'll have to do some
research on that.

Alex, good point about the cooling.  If I'm using a stock battery and a
name brand, it will probably be ok.  If I'm using a non standard
battery, that may be something I have to look at.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 7/9/2013 3:29 AM, gcs8 wrote:
> http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT3000RM2U&total_watts=700
> <http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT3000RM2U&total_watts=700> It
> should be ok, it also has thermal a shutdown.
>

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net
> <mailto:agcarver+ale at acarver.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/8/2013 22:42, gcs8 wrote:
>
>         new option right at 600 watts
>         http://www.frys.com/product/6173999?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
>
>         e bay option ~1KW
>         http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-UPS-XS-1500-Battery-Backup-Power-Supply-BX1500-Tested-FREE-SHIP-/141012115796?pt=US_Uninterruptible_Power_Supplies&hash=item20d4fa2154
>         <http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-UPS-XS-1500-Battery-Backup-Power-Supply-BX1500-Tested-FREE-SHIP-/141012115796?pt=US_Uninterruptible_Power_Supplies&hash=item20d4fa2154>
>

>         shop around a little, my suggestion is do math on finding
>         units with no
>         battery and where you can get the batterys local for a good
>         price, I use a
>         3000kva APC that sits in my rack at the house, I have been
>         thinking about
>         building a bigger battery pack for it but it does its job.
>

>     One word of caution with this is to make sure the UPS has some
>     type of active cooling especially for smaller units that weren't
>     originally designed for large battery packs.  Part of the
>     operating thermal budget on some of the less expensive, passively
>     cooled systems involved assuming the battery pack is a fixed
>     capacity which would run down in a short period of high load.  The
>     temperatures would climb inside the inverter but the battery dies
>     before the inverter gets too hot.  With a bigger battery pack
>     shoehorned in, you reach an overtemperature condition long before
>     the pack dies.  The inverter dies instead.  A UPS with active
>     cooling can handle the bigger pack.

> Charles Selfridge
>
> PBYC  IT director
>
> (404) 910-3409