[ale] OT need 600-1000W power protection for 3 minutes - cheap

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 9 01:01:15 EDT 2013

HI all,

I know we've discussed power protection before but I have a question
with a bit of a different twist.  The twist is I need more power for
less money.

Now, granted, this weather pattern we're having is a bit unusual.
However, it's reaking havok with my usage of my desktop machines.  I'm
having to shut them down virtually every day to prevent possible damage
to the systems due to power glitches.  I'm running both on the low side
of the 500W - 1000W range.  This exceeds the range of any ups I own, so
they're not on UPS's.  The power consumption has increased since I'm
using GPU's for computations.  Cranking them back up and restoring the
running apps takes a good bit of time.

Most of these power glitches are just quick blinks that last only a few
seconds, but that's enough to shut the systems down and potentially
damage them.  I had an unpredicted power failure last week which caused
me several hours of work.  The xmarks firefox bookmark database got
corrupted, of all things, on a windows machine and my mint machine
didn't want to boot properly.

So, I need, say, 700 W (not VA) of power failure protection, to run for
3 minutes, for $ 150 / pc.

I know that's a real stretch.  It may not be possible.  UPS's in that
range seem to be $ 500 ea or so.  The idea of a motor generator
occurred, but I'm sure a new one would be lots of $$$.  On thinking
about that, I guess a motor generator wouldn't work without a huge
flywheel.  You guys mentioned ferrups systems before, but I think you
all said they're very costly.

So, are there ANY options for doing this on the cheap?  I'd even
consider buying used equipment, but the solution would have to be
viable.  Whatever it is, it cannot draw more than about 10A from a 120V
outlet.  I'd be ok if the power dies after the 3 minutes, since I will
have eliminated many of the small glitches.  If the pc interacts with
the power system to shut down, I preferably need it to work on windows
or linux.  If I anticipate a major storm, I'll still shut them down, but
at least I could go to supper or go to sleep without worrying as much
about these pop up storms.

All I want is 3 stinkin' minutes.  Or should I just give up and shut
down whenever it thunders nearby?

Sincerely,

Ron