[ale] AAAARRRRG! #@$%#$%$%^$% Don't upgrade K9 Mail!

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Mon Jul 8 09:23:58 EDT 2013

On 07/08/2013 08:40 AM, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Ok, so I know Ron…not well, but we're acquainted.  He was more here letting us all know before we make a mistake than griping but some small measure of griping is warranted, I'd wager.
>
> Isn't that what we're here for?  Sharing our experiences, warning about 0-days, exchanging ideas and thoughts about this awesome OS we all love?

Sure.

I find it ironic, though, that one of the most prolific posters on the
list—who has time to listen to all the crap that Gibson spews as sound
"security advice", for example—would then turn around and do something
totally against that.

If we were talking about a stupid little soundboard or other
non-networked application, well, then, who cares.  I certainly don't,
because that provably never affects me one bit.

We're talking about K-9 mail, one of the most popular alternative
Internet mail clients for Android.  This is not a small application with
no chance of public issue.  This is a networked application that
interacts with several services on any network on mobile devices.

I can *not* be the only one for whom that raises several flags that say
"yes, you need to update or remove it".

Don't like K-9?  Fine.  Use something else that you'll keep up to date,
or don't use an email client.  Don't put the rest of the Internet at
risk because you don't like a UI change.

> Mistake or not, I don't use Android, but am highly thankful people are posting their experiences, success, and failures here.  There's a ton of lurkers in this little list that will read his experience, and maybe just a few saved from a similar mistake seeing another member's pain.

And I would hope that they, should they decide they do not like
upgrading their K-9, go the responsible route and either cease using the
software or find or write something else that they *will* keep
up-to-date as time passes.

Networked applications*_/are something that must be updated/_*,
especially Internet-facing networked applications, which are the most
vulnerable to, well, everything.

That is, unless you trust the programmer way more than you should.  We
all make mistakes.

    — Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (888) 494-5810 x130