[ale] OT - Latitude/Longitude Lookup

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jul 5 14:21:27 EDT 2013

Hi Jay,

The Open Street Map project might be of use.  It's an open source street map database.  I looked at their visual map of the Atlanta area and it looks pretty detailed.  I don't know about how relevant it is to your purpose.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

While googling the topic, these caught my eye:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/c8d9e8e4-998f-454f-8e65-5dc94ebe1472/citycountry-from-latlong

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/Google-Maps-API/0AQWYP1dIWE

http://citylatitudelongitude.com/ - From city name to lat long, but maybe there is another way to access their database.

http://federalgovernmentzipcodes.us/ - No counties, but still interesting.  Also has links to resources.

Here are some government resources.  Googling gis gov can help find these.  Adding a specific state name can help too.

http://www.usgs.gov/ - The US Geological Survey has huge quantities of maps and data.  You might have to contact them to see if they have something that can help you.

https://www.usps.com/customer-service/customer-service.htm - The postal service obviously knows where all the zip codes, cities, and counties are.  They used to have a huge printed zip code directory.  That won't help you, but, maybe they now have it in electronic form.  Not sure about lat longs.  Their website is too massive to find anything relevant in a few minutes.  You might just have to contact them.

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger.html - The census bureau may be of help.

http://nationalatlas.gov/atlasftp.html

http://gis.ny.gov/ - This is New York specific.  I just happened to see it.  There are probably similar things in other states.  Probably preferable to use one central database if available.

http://www.fgdc.gov/ - Federal geographic data committee.

http://www.weather.gov/gis/ - The weather bureau has a gis department.

http://www.cdc.gov/gis/data.htm - Even the CDC is into GIS.

http://www.epa.gov/geospatial/ - EPA geospatial program.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/prog/more_programs/geographic_sciences/gis.html - Bureau of Land Management - Nevada Specific

http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/ - US Department of Agriculture Geospatial Gateway

https://data.georgiaspatial.org/ - Here's one for GA.

http://www.forsythco.com/department.asp?DeptID=29 - Here's one for Forsyth county GA.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc%3Fid%3DDOC_4360.pdf&sa=U&ei=4gLXUauMIIe69QSAxoDYDQ&ved=0CCYQFjACOAo&usg=AFQjCNEWB8R2CQtUT1bBq2CbCQVkpBh60w - This is interesting.  It's New York specific, and is a pdf report of some type of inspections done on thousands of street addresses in NY.  It contains county and lat long data.  Perhaps you could parse something like that.  From the department of Housing and Urban Development.  Maybe data is available for other states.

https://airports-gis.faa.gov/public/

All this is your tax dollars at work.  Might as well use it if it's relevant.  Looks like almost every federal, state, and county office has a GIS dept and, of course, GIS databases.  This may not directly answer your question, but I'll bet some of these resources can be of help.  If not, I bet they can direct you to someone who can.

Sincerely,

Ron