[ale] Linux in Atlanta's public schools

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at genco.com
Thu Jul 4 22:52:51 EDT 2013

Man, listening to all these stories REALLY gets me P#$%d Off!
It is incredible that these so called public servants hold their positions
solely to reap benefits at the expense of all the young students!

On a much smaller scale, I used to work for, hmmm... lets say one of the
biggest toy retailer company.
When crunch time arrived at the beginning of recession, all the staff was
asked to provide cost saving ideas to help the company navigate through the
rough times. Obviously, I took that opportunity to introduce Linux as a
viable alternative to our "current" Windows XP system.
At our facility, we had over 200 PCs, all running full versions of XP and
Office. The PCs were used primarily for the users to build use simple
spreadsheets that OpenOffice would handle it perfectly.
I setup a server with LTSP on it and also installed a full functioning
version of the OpenBravo (http://www.openbravo.com/ ) WMS system, which
IMHO ran circles around our home brewed WMS.
After the demos and everything else worked flawlessly, and all the cost
savings were evaluated, the very first question I heard was " So, who do we
call for support on open source software?". Before I could finish my
sentence, once they heard the words "community", forums, IRC, etc., one of
the main figures there told me how much my efforts were appreciated but if
they could not pickup the phone and call for support, it was no good.
Absolutely incredible!

On another note, a few months back I asked for help here on the list about
PCs, Monitors, etc. to get PCs down to Haiti for a Christian Mission.
I was able to install stand alone versions of SkoleLinux (Debian EDU) in
French - I do not speak or understand French :-)   - on 07 PCs, along with
the Creole version of BibleTime.
I elected not to tell anyone that Linux was the OS and everything was cool.
After it was noticed that it was not Windows or Mac installed, the PCs, as
far as I know, were still not in use. Just sad...