[ale] HELP! Mint machine is booting from the wrong hard drive

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Jul 3 14:10:08 EDT 2013

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

>On 07/03/2013 10:59 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> I do hundreds of things to a pc during installation / reinstallation.
>> configure the bios, OS, updates, patches, software sources, wifi,
>power
>> settings, security, user accounts, icons, backgrounds, firefox, 6 or
>more
>> firefox plugins, autorun / preview, dns, flash, swap, disk
>diagnostics,
>> backup, fonts, themes, gnome panels, printers, java, libre office,
>pdf
>> reader, online backup, user applications, user icons, remote control
>/
>> assistance, email, synchronizing bookmarks, evernote, dropbox, ntp,
>etc.  I
>> touch the options menu in most every major subsystem, application,
>and
>> plugin.
>
>My backups and restores address all of this on Linux - 30 minute
>restores.
>
>If you **need** less, then you **need** HA and clustering.

I could certainly live with 30 minutes.  Can you elaborate on the procedure and software you would use to backup and restore a personal (but important) linux machine which accounts for all these settings and parameters?  Assume the machine has totally crashed and you have to start with a new blank hdd.  Assume the machine is running Mint / Ubuntu / Debian if possible, since that's what I know.  (Well, I don't personally know Debian.)

Sincerely,

Ron