[ale] ssh clients

Chad Huneycutt chad.huneycutt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:16:34 EST 2013

I personally use putty, and I should mention Putty Connection Manager
(http://bit.ly/HreTT) if you really want tabs.

I don't know a lot about it, but MinGW (http://www.mingw.org) seems
preferable to Cygwin for me.  I know that Windows git package comes
bundled with it, and it seems better integrated than Cygwin.

- Chad

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
> On Android, "Terminal IDE" is nice, but it is not a full ssh client (missing
> sftp and scp).
>
> If they have GPL code, and it is linked with their code then they must provide
> source code and build files.
>
> If they kept their implementation at arms length, perhaps through fopen() and
> pipes, then they can release their part of the code under any license they wish
> and do not need to provide that to you or anyone else.  If the had to modify the
> GPL software to make it work with theirs, then they must release those
> modifications.
>
> Usually at small companies, the lack of source release is due to ignorance, not
> malice.
>

> On 01/31/2013 12:44 PM, Scott Plante wrote:
>> Since 2000, I've been primarily working from my Linux desktop, so I don't
>> usually need an ssh client. Before that, I used WRQ Reflection. Sometime in the
>> early aughts I switched to PuTTY for those times I needed an SSH client on
>> Windows, and still use it. Recently I came across DameWare SSH Client
>> <http://www.dameware.com/free-ssh-client-for-windows.aspx>, and it made me
>> wonder about PuTTY alternatives.
>>
>> DameWare's big claim to fame is that it has a tabbed interface and is supposedly
>> as good as paid SSH clients. I can't recommend it. The terminal emulation
>> doesn't work for me, it doesn't support public keys, and you /have to/ use the
>> tab interface--you can't open two separate windows.
>>
>> I've also tried the Google Chrome SSH app which is beta and doesn't have too
>> many bells and whistles, but seems to work fine.
>>
>> I was wondering what SSH clients everyone else is using and/or recommending
>> these days?
>>
>> By the way, the DameWare is closed source, and the license contains this:
>>
>>     The third-party software contained in this Software may include or contain
>>     software licensed under the following licenses, GNU General Public License
>>     (“GPL”) or Lesser GNU General Public License (“Open Source Programs”).
>>      These Open Source Programs are licensed pursuant to a end user license
>>     agreement that permits the end user to copy, modify, and redistribute the
>>     software, in both source code and binary code forms.  These end user license
>>     agreements can be located at:
>>     <http://www.solarwinds.com/support/3rdPartySoftware/3rdParty.htm>.  Nothing
>>     in this EULA limits an end user’s rights under, or grants the end user
>>     rights that supersede, the terms of any applicable Open Source Program end
>>     user license agreement.
>>
>> Hmmm, so it "may include" GPL code but it's closed source? That doesn't seem
>> quite right.

Chad M. Huneycutt