[ale] dealing with documents created on a Mac.

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 21:42:34 EST 2013

I spent part of this evening (Monday) helping a friend edit an obit.  Her
husband died suddenly Saturday night, without warning.
She is using Mac word processing software (not Micro$oft Word) and when
she attached the file to an email, it came through compressed. When
unpacked I had two directories, containing the file (and other crap) in two
different formats: .doc and some Mac format.
I finally figured out which file was in a format I could handle (nothing
simple like a .doc extension) and finished my work.

Question:  Can the settings on her Mac be altered so that when it attaches
a file created by this "word processer" it just attaches the file, without
adding a ton of crapola, and without compressing anything?  If so, how?

I sent the file back to her in both .doc and .odt.  Any guesses as to
whether her software can handle either one, or both?

I ask because I am likely to be asked to provide some more editing help
over the course of the week.

Sean