[ale] public sharing of folders on linux - newbie question

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:29:45 EST 2013

Friends:

I am going to draw analogy from Windows here.

In Windows if I have machineA and has a folder called outgoing I can share
that folder for public access (as in I dont care who access that within the
LAN everyone can copy from/to that folder)

On machineB I can then do \\machineA\outgoing and access files/folders from
that location.  I may choose to MAP it or I dont have to.
The UNC way of accessing is quite handy in email s and stuff.

Having said that, what is the equivalent of that in Linux (between Linux
computers)

If LinuxMachineX has a folder /home/developmentuser/goodstuff and I want to
share that so anyone in the world can access that folder what is required
of me to that ?

On the same line another LinuxMachineY has to access the LinuxMachineA's
folder what is to be done by LinuxMachineB ?

Regards,
-Narahari