[ale] need help allocating / limiting broadband bandwidth between users

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jan 25 03:47:17 EST 2013

Hi all,

I've just finished configuring some equipment that I hope will solve the
problem.  I want to share the solution, in case anyone else has similar
needs.  My master router is too old and limited to do any firmware
upgrades on it.  However, I found a neat solution which should
prioritize her upload traffic for me.  It turns out lots of switches
have qos functions now.  I found this one at Fry's:

Western Digital My Net 8 port gigabit switch.
http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=750

It has ports that are prioritized by port number.  There are two high
priority, four medium, and two low.  There is nothing to set up.  Just
plug in your devices.  I just put this next in line behind my master
router.  I plug my wife's router into one of the high priority ports.
According to the instructions, the internet router attaches to one of
the low priority ports.  My printer plugs into a low priority port.  My
router and anything else plugs into the medium priority ports.  Bingo.
I instantly have her upload traffic prioritized above anything else.
Pretty cool for what I'm trying to do.  My wife is still attached to the
NetGear wifi router that I was originally on.  Hopefully, that won't
have any overheating or stability problems.

Next, I wanted to make sure my PC equipment wasn't hogging the download
bandwidth.  I got the ASUS RT-N16 gigabit wifi N 300 router, which I
will have all my equipment log into.  If you get this router, you HAVE
to upgrade or replace the default firmware.  The original firmware is
terribly slow, to the point of being almost unusable.  I upgraded to
ASUS's latest, which I think they call AsusWRT.  I don't know if it's in
any way related to DD-WRT or not.  In any case, it has features which
can be used to control both upload and download bandwidth.  This is the
first off the shelf router I've found which has downstream bandwidth
control.  I ignored the upload settings, since my switch will handle
that.  Here's how I set it up to limit the download bandwidth of
everything coming through my router.  Doing this makes sure that her
system will have a few Mbps of download bandwidth no matter what I'm doing.

I go to the qos screen of the router admin system.  On the automatic
mode page, I turn qos on and tell the system that I have 6 Mbps of
upload and 20 Mbps of download bandwidth.  I then go to the user defined
priority page.  I ignore the upload bandwidth settings.  On the download
bandwidth settings, I set all packet priorities to use no more than 68%
of my available download bandwidth.  This leaves at least 32% of my
download bandwidth for my wife's use, no matter what my stuff is doing.

I then go to the user defined qos rules page.  I delete the rules that
they have there.  I create a new rule to apply to all traffic as follows:

Name: All Traffic
Source IP / MAC: blank
Destination Port: 1:65535
Protocol: any
Transferred: 0~  (If used, this field allows certain rules to kick in
only when a certain amount of data is transferred.)

This sets every packet going through my router to Medium priority.
Based on the priority rules set on the other screen, all these packets
can use up to 100% of my upstream bandwidth.  However, the prioritizing
switch won't let that happen.  For upstream data, my wife's packets will
always take priority.  These rules will not let my downstream packets
take up any more than 68% of my downstream bandwidth.

For times when she's not working here.  I have a second router attached
to the switch for myself which has no bandwidth restrictions.  I can use
that when I want to do large downloads, etc.  All my equipment will be
set to automatically log into the bandwidth restricted router unless I
manually do otherwise.

Hopefully, all these things will keep her system humming along quickly
and her employer happy.  They wouldn't like too much downtime.

Thanks to all who responded for their suggestions.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com