[ale] need help allocating / limiting broadband bandwidth between users

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jan 24 14:13:32 EST 2013

Hi all,

I've got an interesting and frustrating problem here at home that I need
help with.  My wife works at home using a Citrix connection.  Everything
she does comes from a remote system.  I have several computers that I
use here as well, some of which are periodically doing automated data
transfers and backups, etc.  Periodically, she complains that her system
is running so slow that it's unusable.  This is an intermittent
problem.  Immediately after she mentioned it today, I connected to her
wifi router and did a speed test.  I got .6 Mbps.  Typically, I get
around 28 Mbps for downloads.  I switched her to my router and the
problem went away.  Now, her system is blazing fast again.

The routers are configured as follows.  This may or may not work as a
text diagram.

Old Setup

Ron's wifi router (a) --->\
                            Master wired router (c) ---> cable modem
Wife's wifi router (b) -->/

New Setup

Wife's wifi router (a) -->\
                            Master wired router (c) ---> cable modem
Ron's wifi router (b) --->/

Hopefully, if that diagram survives the email, you can see that she has
a wifi router and I have one.  Both of those are connected to a master
wired router that is connected to the cable modem which is connected to
the internet.  Normally this works very well.  I like to keep her stuff
and my stuff on separate networks.  You might think, from this
description, that router (b) is failing.  And that is a possibility.
I'm prepared to replace router (b) if I have to.  However, I'm not
convinced.  I rebooted router (b) and did a speed test and it's back up
in the 28 Mbps range again.

I'm wondering if router (c) is getting confused during times when both
(a) and (b) are putting heavy demands on the link and trying to send /
receive more data in aggregate than the link is capable of.  If it's a
problem of bandwidth hogging by my stuff, I'd rather just curtail that
and make sure that her stuff has at least, for example, 3 Mbps up / 6
Mbps down at all times.  All the routers are NetGear equipment.  The
wifi routers have QOS settings that I've tried to tweak in the past to
address this type of problem.  I haven't had much success with that.
The wired master router does not have QOS settings.  I have set up a 3
Mbps upstream bandwidth limit on my router, but I don't have any option
to limit downstream bandwidth.  My total upstream capacity is about 6 Mbps.

I need to stick with off the shelf equipment here.  I could replace the
master router (c) if needed, or stick something in between my router and
the master router to limit my maximum bandwidth if necessary.  I would
be willing to reflash a router's firmware if necessary, but I have to
have something that resets automatically in case of a power failure.  I
don't really want to be running another pc just for this purpose.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)