[ale] VPN connections at Emory

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Jan 22 15:51:42 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 01/22/2013 01:38 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> > The TOS at most institutions forbid guest access to wired ports.  But, we
> > won't mention that.  I don't know about this specific institution.
>
> Perhaps it would be easier to just bring a wifi router to plug into the
> podium
> port from now on?  I have a tiny travel wifi router that I use at other
> meetings
> which is perfect for this.
>
> > Un natted connections sound a bit disturbing.  I would think the whole
> > institution would be running on a giant nat.  Even so, I think a Windows
> > machine should be OK as long as the OS firewall was running.
>
> NAT is not a method of security.  It is the firewall and LACK of NAT
> forwarding
> to specific ports that matters.
>
> If you run iptables on your Linux machines (who has just 1?) with logging
> enabled, you can see all the traffic that "NAT routers" allow in that you
> would
> never expect to see. Seriously - enable logging on iptables and watch all
> the
> attempts from behind a NAT router. These are inbound packets, not

While I certainly don't subscribe to the "NAT is security" mindset, I also
haven't seen many (any?) general NAT implementations that forward a lot of
spurious traffic.  Granted, I run OpenWRT at home with full SPI enabled,
but I actually do a lot of things with wireshark on that network segment
and the only "surprising" things I see is the shear volume of broadcast
traffic from various devices (cell phones, windows machines, etc.).  Never
seen anything from the outside.

That being said, obviously things like 1:1 NAT [1] offer no security.  But
with a "typical" 1:N NAT setup, the NAT machine has to decide which machine
of N the incoming packet goes to, so short of setting up a DMZ, most of
those implementations drop anything it doesn't have connection tracking
for.  (Which is why special conntrack modules are needed for things like
passive-mode FTP, anything that opens ports backwards, etc.)