[ale] VPN connections at Emory

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Tue Jan 22 14:50:16 EST 2013

I'll add my $0.02: I connect from an un-rooted iPad so I have limited options. I have been completely unable to connect to my pfSense firewall using pptp, which is probably just as well since pptp is useless for security . Since the meeting, we've completely turned off pptp on our firewall and I've gotten mobile IPSec to work from the iPad. We'll see how that works next month. I was able to connect to a Cisco firewall with their AnyConnect from the iPad and open an ssh connection. I didn't try for 10 minutes or anything, so I can't comment on that--I was just trying to see if it worked.

Actually, I thought there was no OpenVPN client for un-rooted iOS, but now I see there is one. I guess I have another project.

Scott

p.s. for the haters: the iPad was free--won it in a raffle at of all places, a Java developer conference! Uh oh, Java, now I'm out of the pan and into the fire ;-)