[ale] semi [OT] cool info, sn podcast, FIXING SSD'S, linksys router flaws, more

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Jan 20 10:44:11 EST 2013

Hi all,

The latest security now podcast had lots of good info I wanted to
share.  Some of you already know much of what they cover and some are
above the level the podcast is aimed at.  However, I find the info
useful so I would just say use it for what it's worth to you.

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm - show web page
http://twit.tv/sn - show web page on This Week In Tech network

http://media.grc.com/sn/sn-387.mp3 - show audio
http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-387.pdf - transcript

I'll reference pages in the transcript for each item.  Not sure of the
exact position in the audio.

* p2  -  They spent a while discussing yet another of the seemingly
endless zero day exploits in Java as well as disconnecting it from your
browser while leaving it on the system, if you have to.  -  p2

* p6  -  They discussed the USB drives brings down power plant issue for
a while.  -  p6

* p7  -  They discussed a flaw which allows someone to get root access
to certain Linksys routers, hopefully only from within the LAN side of
the device. This could affect 70,000,000 routers.  Info here
bit.ly/linksys0day which links to
http://www.defensecode.com/article/upcoming_cisco_linksys_remote_preauth_root_exploit-33
.  According to Leo's and Steve's opinion, Cisco has been extremely
negligent in patching flaws in the Linksys product line.  There was also
a fiasco recently where they tried to disable the control panel in their
new routers and force users to log into a Cisco web account just to be
able to administer their router.  I don't think I'll be buying any
Linksys products.  -  p7

* p8  -   A short discussion about an article comparing various USB
chargers.  Apparently some are much better and some are much worse.  I
haven't read it yet but it sounds cool.  Info here bit.ly/usbcharge
which links to
http://www.arcfn.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html
.  This is a very detailed article.  -  p8

* p10  -  FIXING SSD's - A number of listeners have reported that A)
their relatively new SSD's are failing to read properly, and B) you can
sometimes fix them with SpinRite.  This is important info.  According to
Steve, the economics of the SSD market are forcing producers to operate
at the very bleeding edge of what is technically possible for the price
they're selling the product at.  Sometimes, they cross over to the wrong
side of that fence.  According to Steve, the units are JUST RELIABLE
ENOUGH to sell them, just like HDD's.

Imagine this, you have a microscopic storage tank for electrons, a
capacitor, which is VERY microscopic.  You stick a VERY small charge of
electrons into the storage tank through a lid which is inherently
leaky.  The more you use it, the more leaky it gets.  Not only that, you
try to fill it either 1/4 1/2 3/4 or full, and then sense what state
it's in to read back 2 bits of data.  (MLC cells)  The engineers know
this won't work sometimes, so they rely on lots of ECC (error correction
code) to make it work.  Sometimes, even that fails, and you get
"sectors" that won't read properly.

A number of listeners to the podcast have reported that they've used
SpinRite to fix SSD's which are giving failures to read.  SpinRite has
various operational levels.  It is now apparent that there is value in
forcing an SSD controller to periodically read all of the "disk" in the
same way it's useful to do this to a hard drive.  In the case of an SSD,
it forces the controller to acknowledge weak storage cells and either
refresh the data (electrical charge) or relocate it.  The user that
contacted the show was having problems with a balky SSD running on a
Mac.  He moved the SSD to a pc and ran SpinRite on it at Level 1 - read
only and don't try to recover data.  He got a number of unrecoverable
sector errors.  Upon Steve's advice, he ran SpinRite on Level 2.  This
is also read only, but invokes a massive statistical analysis routine to
try to recover unreadable sectors by reading the raw data up to 2000
times.  On a HDD, SpinRite would fly the heads in to the sector from
many different locations to account for mechanical variances in the read
mechanism.  On an SSD, this does not apply.  However, the statistical
data analysis on bad sectors is still valid.  Note that something like
badblocks can exercise the drive's controller.  However, it cannot do
the extensive data recovery on unreadable sectors that SpinRite can.  In
any case, once the user had run the SpinRite level 2 process on the
drive, the unreadable sectors had been recovered sufficiently to put the
drive in the Mac and it worked fine.

To give you an idea of how Steve feels about the reliability (or lack of
it) of SSD's, he is using some in a server, but for him to feel safe,
they had to be:
    - OWC premium brand
    - Single Level Cell memory rather than Multi Level Cell (very expensive)
    - Massively overprovisioned with spare sectors
    - Configured in fully redundant RAID such that any two drives can
fail and the server still works

      -  p10 in the transcript

* p15  -  They talk about using Java apps, like CrashPlan or MineCraft,
without allowing Java to be active in the web browser.  -  p15

* p17  -  They talk about new technology involving filling HDD's with
helium, which allows higher platter speed and higher aerial density.  -  p17

* p19  -  They talk about how to configure a PS3 for UPNP using a DMZ
without endangering your network.
                Glossary - PS3 - Play Station 3
                                - UPNP - Universal Plug and Play
                                - Demilitarized Zone (in the router)  -  p19

For those that don't know, UPNP is a potentially dangerous technology
that allows an application to open ports in your router's firewall, for
games to work, etc., without your knowledge or permission.  In many
cases, you cannot even tell what's been opened.  If something malicious
does get inside your firewall, either through a web page or an
application, it can swing the doors of your firewall open wide and let
all it's malware friends in.  The best idea is to disable it unless you
need it.

* p19  -  They discuss The Quite Canine project - An ongoing (very cool)
design for a simple high frequency sound blaster that can be used to
convince barking and / or aggressive dogs that you encounter to shut up
and leave without harming them.  -  p19

* p24  -  Reminder by a listener of a year old problem in a large number
of Linksys routers of a flaw in the WPS security system which allows the
WPA password to be cracked in less than 10 hours by sniffing the
traffic.  Apparently, yet again, Cisco has dropped the ball an not fixed
it.  The moral of the story is, disable WPS on your router, if you even
can.  Apparently, on some of the Linksys routers, the disable function
doesn't work.  -  p24

I found these links:

http://lifehacker.com/5873407/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wpa-password-with-reaver
http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/12/researchers-publish-open-source-tool-for-hacking-wifi-protected-setup/

I hope you find this info helpful and useful.  There appears to be a
never ending supply of security problems to talk about.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)