[ale] Can't connect to port 53

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jan 17 18:34:40 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-17 at 18:14 -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Hosts file is OK, I'm not an expert at dns so I'll have to research the
> other possibility.  Thanks,

By default, BIND is only going to listen on localhost:

IPv4:	127.0.0.1
IPv6:	::1

Try doing a "netstat -nta" | grep :53

Then see what it says.

If you want BIND to listen on the network in general, you'll have to set
up the listen-on and listen-on-v6 options.  Make sure, if this is expose
to the network, that you have RESTRICTED recursion (your local host
and/or your local networks).

Examples from one of my nameserver's /etc/named.conf file:

ACL for my local networks and stuff for recursion:

--
acl recurse-allow {
        130.205.0.0/16;

In global options: