[ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k boundaries

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jan 17 17:42:26 EST 2013

(content snipped)

After reading this very interesting thread, I decided to format a new
drive I installed a while back but never got around to using. I'm
planning on using the disk as an off site storage device. Anyway I
created a gpt since it's a 500 Gb drive and rather new and would benefit
from 4K boundries.  I attempted to use the lvm gui (system-config-lvm)
to format the drive but it didn't find the drive.  It just didn't show
up.  I don't use lvm often enough to navigate creating lvm disks from
the command line so I didn't even try.

I went back and used gparted to generate a msdos partition table. Now
the gui works fine.  I guess the gui hasn't caught up with the new guid
partition tables.  I tried to create the gpt via gdisk and gparted but
the lvm gui didn't find it either way.  And, yes I did create partitons
on the new partition table, but there wasn't a format for lvm in the
list so I left them unformatted.

This is on a Mint 13 system.

Just an observation for what it's worth.

Jim.