[ale] The perpetual question: best current HDD?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 10 12:31:50 EST 2013

Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> writes:

> Scrubbing is all about finding transient UREs and rewriting them,
> triggering relocation if necessary.  Mismatch detection is a side
> benefit that can flag an array for a closer look.  A read-only badblocks
> scan is insufficient, as it cannot rewrite when it finds errors, and
> otherwise redundant if you are scrubbing, as scrubbing reads everything
> except the tiny unused metadata area.
>
> Along with scrubbing, regular background long SMART selftests are highly
> recommended.  Use both mdmon and smartd for notifications.

Yep, I have my system set up to run a daily smart short test, a weekly
smart long test, and to email mdmon and smartd notifications of serious
issues.

I *assume* that the weekly raid-check (which sends "check" into
/sys/block/$dev/md/sync_action) is a read-write scrub.  This would be
used, as you say, to find weak sectors and remap them on the drives.

> Phil

-derek