[ale] The perpetual question: best current HDD?

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:18:16 EST 2013

JPK III makes some good points, esp. regarding enterprise vs desk top class
drives. However, while SAS controllers handle SATA drives just fine, SATA
controllers can't handle SAS drives, so besides the fact that SAS drives
cost a bunch more than SATA drives of equivalent capacities, unless you
have a true server motherboard, you most likely don't have an embedded SAS
controller and an addin SAS controller will set you back several hundred $.
So like he said, it boils down to a question of how much $ you have to
spend.

I haven't researched the issue, but since modern drives all
use perpendicular encoding (how else could they cram 1TB on a single
platter?) it would make some sense that thermal expansion could be more of
a problem. I would assume the problem would mostly relate to the warm up
phase, so that if the drive can "find itself" at boot, maybe it might have
some trouble keeping track of tracks while the platters come up to full
operating temps, but once stabilized I would think that all would be good
again. Just a somewhat educated guess, no empirical data to back it up.
GC