[ale] upgrading my obsolete Ubuntu 11.04 to What?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:18:16 EST 2013

Sad but true. In RPM land, one can make rpms all day long to merge in
patched stuff from upstream that is not in a supported release. But unless
that person is either a) a distro guru or b) has WAY too much time on their
hands, it's just not practical.

In short, IT is a rapidly moving target. Either bite the constant upgrade
rope and hang on for the ride or be ready to use ancient, discontinued,
bug-ridden, security nightmare stuff on a daily basis.

Luckily, the hardware obsolescence in Linux-land is not as fast as in
WindBlows/sMac realms. But my serial mouse and my 386DX system are no
longer supported in the kernel so I can either add custom patches or
generate more e-waste.

trash can is getting full :-)

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> Riiiight, because creating deb packages is simple. Be realistic.
> Unless you've gone the LFS route, this isn't feasible with _any_
> distribution.
>
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Edward Holcroft <eholcroft at mkainc.com>
> wrote:
> > And my (poorly made) point is that it doesn't. All Ubuntu support means
> is
> > that Canonical is rolling the debs for you. As long as you have the Linux
> > source code at your disposal, you can keep patching your system for as
> long
> > as you have an itch to scratch. In perpetuity, if that's what you want.
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.