[ale] Fiber optic ethernet

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Feb 28 15:20:44 EST 2013

Hi William,

Caveat - I've never tried this, but it sounds cool.

I 2nd the idea of wireless.  If you google parabolic wifi antenna, you get lots of results.  Here's just one of them.  They claim 8 mile range.

http://www.simplewifi.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29855

You might also need a wifi bridge device.  Some routers can do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

Also, if the workshop is on the same power distribution transformer as your house, you could consider power line networking.  If it has a phone line, you could consider phone line networking.  I think those technologies are getting much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_networking

NewEgg searches.  Their search system seems to generate lots of non relevant results, but you get the idea.

wifi antenna search:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=wifi+antenna&x=0&y=0

power line network search:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=power+line+network&x=23&y=14

wifi bridge search:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=wifi+bridge&x=0&y=0

You could also try frys.com, tigerdirect.com, and microcenter.com.

Sincerely,

Ron