[ale] Preferred server dists

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:11:11 EST 2013

If you want Enterprise I go with SuSE Enterprise or RHEL/CentOS. If you
want bleeding edge Fedora / openSUSE. If you want stable Debian.  These all
have great resource to help you.

I would stay a way from Ubuntu, that just me. If I am going to run Debian,
I will run Debian.  Ubuntu is bleeding edge, but the server giving me
headaches because I need to use X it was a pain to install.  I  know a lot
people love it, but I think it does better for desktop than server, but I
will admit. I am bias. That's my two cents.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com> wrote:

> If longevity and stability is the key then RHEL ($$$ subscription) or
> CENTOS (free based on RHEL source) is the way to go.    The lifecycle of
> the major releases (RHEL4, RHEL5, RHEL6) can be as much as 10 years.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org