[ale] Fiber optic ethernet

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Thu Feb 28 09:05:07 EST 2013

Have long wanted to extend my LAN to my workshop and it has never came close
to being a priority. Long story short - it is now. About 400 feet so well
into the at least *one* repeater range for CAT 5 or 6. Lightning magnet,
interference from over head power lines and or the extension cord to power
the repeater might necessitate another repeater...

Googling a bit I see fiber ethernet converters starting at $50 and 500'
pre-terminated cables for about $200. Is it really possible to run fiber
optic for about $300? (Plus conduit which would be needed for whatever.)

Don't need speed so even the slowest should be plenty fast. Multimode seems
to be the cheapest but even it has too many choices. 50/125 or 62.5/125?
Both seem to be offered with various terminations and combinations and I
have no idea which one to concentrate on researching. The round 'ST'
connectors look like they would fit through smaller (cheaper) conduit? Be
nice to have them on at least one end.

If anyone has been down this road the past few years please share some
details.
--
William