[ale] trying to get video capture working on Ubuntu or Mint, no luck

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Feb 28 04:42:40 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm going to keep this brief since I've spent half the night with no
sleep trying to get video capture working.  All I want to do at this
point is to get a signal from the video source and display it on the pc
monitor, just to see if everything is working.  Having audio come from
the speakers would be cool too.  I'll worry about recording and program
guides, etc. later.

I have a Comcast Explorer 8300 HD cable box by Scientific Atlanta with a
firewire port.

I have a Hauppauge USB-Live2 video capture device.

I was trying to use this PVR software, which is based on Ubuntu 11.04.

http://www.redbuttonsoftware.com/index.html

I booted from a live DVD I burned.

I get no video from the firewire, but can see a disk drive on the same
bus, so I know the firewire is working.

I tried to load mythtv.  It sees, and names, both capture devices, but I
cannot get any video.

I tried VLC and mplayer to read from the Hauppauge.  No luck.

After hours of trying, I cannot possibly list all the things I've tried,
but, does anyone know a specific set of steps which will work with
either of these devices?  Sorry if this is a bit vague, but my brain is
mush.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron