[ale] Preferred server dists

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Wed Feb 27 17:28:42 EST 2013

Before we setup our dedicated colo site, we were essentially using
Rackspace cloud hosting for DR.  Since there was no SUSE variant available
through them, our choices were Arch, CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu.  I went
with Arch, and things went well.  We now have a dedicated colo site with
SLES and SLES HAE, and have left the Rackspace VMs behind.  I think it
just depends on what you are most familiar/comfortable with.  Since my
Debian/Ubuntu experience has pretty much been around getting familiar
enough with it to pass the LPIC tests, I would feel totally uncomfortable
with deploying that in a server setting - not because of any problem with
the OS, but because of my lack of knowing it inside out/up down the way I
know some other distributions.
Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield