[ale] WAY [OT] but geeky - how do I calibrate GPS barometric altimeter

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Feb 26 23:28:57 EST 2013

Hi Scott,

Regarding your weather station.  I'd consider exchanging the unit.  The
temperature sensors are usually pretty good.  Although you didn't
mention the brand or price, more pricey usually means better sensors.
If you have two units side by side, they should read within 1- 2 degrees
of each other.  From my prior research on consumer weather stations, I
think any humidity sensor under $ 300 will only give about + / - 5%
accuracy.  Anything under $ 30, you can probably forget that sensor.  It
may be way off.

Regarding the "atomic clock" signal, make sure you've initialized the
unit to search for the atomic clock signal.  Then, leave it very still.
Even if it's receiving, it may take several minutes to synchronize.
Make sure there are no large metal appliances or building parts blocking
it toward the West.  The signal comes from Colorado.  Usually, in the
daytime, you cannot receive the signal due to ionospheric interference.
However, I have 2 wall clocks, a weather station, and a wrist watch that
all read this signal.  They usually synchronize at between 2 and 5 AM.
There are very few days when they miss.  Most units have an indicator
that tells if it synchronized or not.

If you cannot get yours to work, I'd exchange it or take it back, if you
can.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 2/26/2013 7:45 PM, Scott Plante wrote:
> Derek,
>   I'm pretty sure Ron realized that--that's why he mentioned getting
> it from online sources for his locality. The problem was they all
> reported different values.
>
> Separately,
>
>   A family member gave me a fancy weather station / atomic clock
> (well, it supposedly reads the atomic clock radio signal) with an
> outdoor remote unit this Christmas. It tells the indoor/outdoor
> temperature, pressure, and other stuff. Testing it out, I place the
> remote unit right next to the indoor unit and they consistently
> reported values 10 points off! It also never read the clock signal. Oh
> well, so much for technology.
>
> Scott

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.