[ale] LPIC-2 or equivalent worth it?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Tue Feb 26 21:49:43 EST 2013

On 02/26/2013 08:29 PM, dev null zero two wrote:

> any of you have your LPIC-2 (or 3) or equivalent level Linux certs?
> any of the Novell or Oracle ones fun?
>
> if so, was it worth pursuing? the LPIC-1 was a joke but from what I've
> heard of 2 and 3, it's a lot more kernel hacking than admin stuff. tho
> the one guy I know with 3 is a Debian maintainer :-P
>
> Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the brevity, spelling, and
> punctuation.

Yes, it is worth it.  Standard is RHCE, but an LPI-2 ~ RHCE and I have
gotten more then one gig because I had an LPI-2 ("it shows you are
interested and it is not a hobby for you" < a person who hired me ).

What you are asking is, is it worth investing my time and money into
~$300 to earn $X more, every year?  Sure.  Make that ~$800 for an RHCE
and the answer is still yes, that is, at least if you want to make a
living out of it.

Of course, if you have the pedigree or the education, you don't need it,
but then you are being compared with others with your back ground and
education, and it is one more thing.

As to people who don't live in the real world, we need something to be
judged by and most employers don't have the skill set to adequately
test our skills or even to determine if we are using the correct words.
Do we like Certs?  No.  Will they get you a job, if you can tie your
shoes and try hard not to drool when you talk.  As for it being MS
centric, no idea, always been there for me.  If you feel real motivated
LPI-3 WILL open doors, that is ~ RHCSA and being a maintainer is not a
sure thing, but rather understanding how the technology works (LDAP
integration, single system sign on, etc).

Any way, my two cents worth.  The only Cert I never really used is my
VCP.  Go figure.