[ale] WAY [OT] but geeky - how do I calibrate GPS barometric altimeter

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Feb 25 23:26:28 EST 2013

Hi Michael, and all,

I may have to look for some of those markers.  However, I found an
alternate method.  I found out that the US Geological Survey has very
detailed topographical maps, many with satellite imagery of pretty much
the entire country.  You can buy them on paper but you can download them
for free.

You can search for the very detailed maps by city name here:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/display/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_50_2&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000015%29/.do

Or you can search graphically from a map by placing a marker here:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/%28isQuery=yes&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&query=*n+34+14+41+w+84+04+06*&layout=6_1_61_60&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000562%29/.do

I downloaded the topo map for the area around my house, and around the
trail that I walk at.

It turns out that my house is at 1160 ft, not 1210.  About the same
time, the GPS estimate of my elevation was 1230, which is 70 ft too
high.  I turned off the function that autocalibrates the altimeter based
on GPS.  I then told the unit it was sitting at 1160 ft.  Once I did
that, I was able to get a very accurate reading of barometric pressure
on the GPS device.  It said 29.85 and WeatherBug said 29.84 for my
area.  It looks like WeatherBug may be the best source of Barometric
pressure for this location.  For whatever reason, The Weather Channel
was .07 in hg higher.  Since I originally set the device, the indicated
pressure has been drifting upwards even though the weather isn't
changing.  That may be due to temperature differences since I was
holding it in my hand.

As long as I calibrate it before going on the trail, and as long as
there are no abrupt changes in the weather, I think I can get pretty
accurate readings on the altimeter for several hours without the GPS
calibration function turned on.

Sincerely,

Ron