[ale] anybody doing android development and how?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Feb 18 17:45:18 EST 2013

Hi David,

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to look into those resources when I can.  It's good to know that there are some alternatives out there to the Java / Eclipse route.

Hi All,

Thanks to the others who've responded to this thread.  I'll have to be reviewing the other posts and responding to some as the week progresses.

I wanted to pass along the following.  Here are two AppInventor books that look pretty cool.  It looks like you can do some pretty complex development with it after all.

http://www.amazon.com/App-Inventor-Create-Your-Android/dp/1449397484/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361226155&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/App-Inventor-Android-Experience-Required/dp/1119991331/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361216050&sr=8-1

I bought the first book, which is by O'Reilly.  It looks very cool.  It has some neat tutorial projects you can do.

I'm not sure whether AppInventor has all the same features now that Google abandoned it.  MIT is running it now.  I haven't done any research other than looking at these books.

For what it's worth, I think programming should be done this way.  Visually.  Not by typing tens of thousands of cryptic characters and strings into a keyboard.  And, I'm a pretty good typist.

I'm reminded of the neat scene in the Star Trek IV movie where Scotty and Bones are in the plastics factory and Scotty wants to enter a chemical formula into an old Mac computer.  He picks up the mouse and starts speaking to it.  The manager of the plant says "Just use the keyboard."  Scotty says "A keyboard, how quaint."

I'm afraid I have to agree.

Sincerely,

Ron