[ale] Any Small USB KVMs that actually.........work?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Sun Feb 17 16:11:44 EST 2013

Thanks for all the replies

What I found:

PS2 Kbd + mouse ==> Old Belkin PS2 2 way KVM  ==> IoGear PS2-> USB Y
cable ==> HP Pavillion running Centos 6.x WORKS FINE.

PS2 Kbd + mouse ==> IOGearPS2 4 way KVM  ==> TrendNet PS2-> USB Y cable
==> HP Pavillion running Centos 6.x WORKED OK.

Other combinations which involved an IOGEAR 4 way USB KVM did not
work.

PS2 Kbd + mouse ==> IoGear PS2-> USB Y cable ==> IoGear USB KVM ==> HP
Pavillion running Centos 6.x didn't work in various annoying
intermittent ways:

        Failed to Switch
        Keyboard stuck repeating
        Mouse not working

Kinda annoying when one IoGear part doesn't work with another IoGear
part.

Maybe if we throw out my favorite ergo keyboard and trackball and go
totally USB it might work better, but you read the reviews on some of
these units and you wonder.

It seems like the shuffle of PS2 to USB introduces multiple components
and it gets.........undefined.

That's why I was looking to see what people were doing that actually
works.

I'm reading that some KVM's really have a problem with stuffing both kbd
and mouse into a single PS2->USB; and really want to see them on
separate USB ports.

regards,

Neal