[ale] OT: Comcast modem

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:55:35 EST 2013

On 2/12/13 3:37 PM, JD wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 11:29 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> JD <jdp at algoloma.com> writes:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> residential, but it also appears that if the bandwidth is available, I
>>> get it as I need it.  Up and down have clocked at over 30Mbps when we
>>> pay for the lowest tier service.  Whether those services can be
>> You get 30Mbps UP on Comcast Biz Class!??!?!?!  I'm paying for 22/6 and
>> I see/measure 30/8
>>
> We pay for 12/3 or 12/2 - can't remember.  I was shocked to see that throughput too.
>
> Just tested again and saw 12/2, so that 32/30 could have been a completely
> fluke, but I have seen well over my paid allocation multiple times before.

On those rare golden days when all's right in the world and there's free
overhead, the CMTS can allow you to "burst" over your allotted capacity
for a limited time -- how much and what duration is specified by the
provider in the same configuration where your baseline speed limits are
configured

Do longer consecutive runs and you should see it level off