[ale] [OT] DC 404 group was Fwd: Re: semi [OT] cool info, sn podcast, FIXING SSD'S, linksys router flaws, more

Watson, Keith krwatson at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:31:16 EST 2013

Ron,

When we have equipment and network available we try to host a Google hangout of the meeting. Many of the DC404 members are speakers at security conferences so it is not uncommon to see a beta run of a conference presentation that is destined for Black Hat, Defcon, Shmoocon, etc. One caveat is that the Google hangout video of the presentation screen isn't all that legible so it isn't as good as being there.

.to is the it is just the top level domain of the island country of Tonga.

The .to domain is a top level domain (TLD) for the country of Tonga and is no different than any other TLD such as .com, .org, or .net .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.to

Is it possible that someone is hosting a proxy in the .to domain space? Yes, just like they do in other TLDs like .com, .net and .org.

A Google search for site:.to turns up 61,800,000 results although I'm sure there are multiple hits for some of the systems in the .to domain.

Does it mean that every .to is a proxy/anonymizer? No more than saying that every .com, .net, or .org domain address is a proxy/anonymizer?

The previous meeting section of the web page is a bit behind. However you can get the schedule from here but it is virtually always the third Saturday of the month. The best thing to do is subscribe to the mail list because if there is a meeting change we announce it there.

http://dc404.org/calendar/

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=8h2ufpva5s2jurbfn2f53b60j4@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

http://preview.tinyurl.com/avbec94

The next meeting is Saturday 2/16/2013. Some of the members will be at Shmoocon but we are still having a meeting.

I have been attending DC404 meetings every month since November of 2008. There have been a few times when the DC404 meeting was not held because almost every member was attending Outerz0ne but I think that has only happened twice and the list was notified beforehand. I also think we canceled the meeting one December after polling the mail list members because it landed to close to Christmas and no one was going anyway.

The next Outerz0ne should be around April
http://www.outerz0ne.org/

You might also be interested in this.

Atlanta Information Security Resources
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~krwatson/atlanta_infosec_resources.html

keith

--

Keith R. Watson                        Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support Professional Lead           College of Computing