[ale] fyi backports options on Mint 13 Maya, other stuff

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Feb 9 07:58:29 EST 2013

Hi all,

Thanks all for the previous advice on choosing an Linux OS upgrade path.

Now that I'm a Mint 13 Maya user (at least in a VM), I've been trying to learn more about it.  As was mentioned here on the list previously, Mint 13 is based on Ubuntu 12.04.  It is a Long Term Support release, and is supported for 5 years.  So, I'm going to stick with that for a while.  Fortunately, many of the things you can do are the same as in Ubuntu, so I don't have to relearn everything.  I discovered this blog post:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=5

which offered the following cool information:

quote on ->

The most significant improvements in Nadia are being backported to Maya.

Among other things, this gives Linux Mint 13 LTS users access to the following packages:

MDM 1.0.7
Cinnamon 1.6.7 (with Nemo 1.1.2 and Muffin 1.1.2)
MATE 1.4

<- quote off

Here's info about the new Cinnamon:

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=195

And info about the new Mate:

http://mate-desktop.org/2012/07/30/mate-1-4-released/

By turning on backports, I get cool updates without upgrading every 6 months.  I presume you can do the same thing with Ubuntu, but don't know.  I read somewhere, but cannot find the link, that the new versions are compatible with DropBox, and the others weren't.  When I installed DropBox, it seemed to download its own version of the Nautilus file browser.  It still doesn't seem to work with the built in file browser.  But, if I access the DropBox folder from the DropBox icon, it works.

The "Software Sources" screen that you have to access is available from the menu and the options screens on the update manager.  It's probably available in the Synaptic Package manager too, but I'm not certain.

This blog post shows the MintBox, a reasonably powerful (but a bit pricy) self contained Mint computer the size of a DVD player.  Pretty cool.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=12

This blog post shows the release notice for Mint 13 Maya:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=13

This post shows the new features in Mint 13:

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya_whatsnew.php#mate

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com