[ale] UPS

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:19:27 EST 2013

Everyone here is going after a TOTALLY different perspective of battery
backup than I do. So I thought I'd share my view.

I don't use a battery backup to keep my system up as long as possible. Most
situations of power loss are Bang! - down for 10-20 sec - click, buzz and
back up. I want my system to survive intact a series of power losses.

So I have my main server set to run for 3 minutes MAX on battery then start
to power down. The battery (APC smartUPS ###? dual battery cabinet unit) is
set to provide power again after the battery is recharged to at least 80%.
I can in theory run my web server, the cable modem and a switch for about 1
hour. I have a NG generator that kicks in after 30 seconds as well. If the
power is out, I have _other_ things to do :-)

Without the generator, my philosophy is the power is usually stable and I
need to survive the momentary lapses. Long lapses mean outage is more
severe and I need to do something other than baby sit a web server. If the
power comes back in fits and starts, the battery system has the capacity to
let thing start and stop several times gracefully before it refuses to run
until things stabilize.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.