[ale] help mint13 / mate ups not recognized usb cable

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Feb 5 13:31:24 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with mint 13 / mate not recognizing the APC smart ups, which is connected via usb cable.  If I click on the battery icon, it says the battery charge is zero.  So, it's not seeing the UPS.  If I bring up the power monitor screen, the details for the battery are blank or non relevant numbers.  If I do lsusb, I can see the UPS attached to the USB controller.  I am aware of the apcupsd daemon and have not installed it.  The Gnome power manager or Mate power manager should be able to see the battery and manage the power without this daemon.  It may be a driver issue or something.  I think I had this problem with Ubuntu, but don't remember how I solved it a couple of years ago.  Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com