[ale] UPS

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Feb 5 11:17:52 EST 2013

Depending on the exact models and configuration, the difference
is the Tripp-lite is live, the APC is in standby and must switch on.
That 'cross over' from line to inverter is the flicker...
that you won't get on the Tripp-lite because it is already live
and powering your stuff.

I like the Tripp-lite's for places with dirty unsteady power
but think it's probably overkill for most home use.
You are burning some kWh in the running live mode, not much, but
measurable.. and the expectation is the Tripp-lite electronics
will be more reliable than the incoming power. A good bet, but the MTBF
will eventually happen on either system.

My home server config are now an Asus RT-16 router running DD-WRT
with a small USB file share, and a repurposed Asus Atom based netbook
that does everything else (now running Bodhi and may try XBMCbuntu soon).
All the important computers are now laptops with their own batteries.

I don't even have a UPS at home... but I think if I ran one, I'd put a big
one in the garage wired into a couple of specific circuit breakers.
I keep threatening to, even have the UPS's and never get around to it.
But I do have a propane genset :)