[ale] UPS

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Feb 4 16:35:13 EST 2013

Hi Sean,

About a year ago, I bought an APC Smart UPS based on recommendations of people here.  It has a display to show its status and can boost sagging voltage or trim excessive voltage to a certain extent.  I really like it.  Keep in mind that the kVA rating is usually about double the wattage rating that the unit can handle.  Also, keep in mind that if you run the load at 100% while on battery power, you'll probably only get 5-10 minutes of run time.  If you want long run time, you need a unit with about 5X - 10X capacity of the load you're running.  Also, with such short run time, if you get a smaller unit, you have to set the PC to shut down at about 50% to 70% of remaining battery charge, to allow sufficient time to shut the PC down.  If you shut down when the UPS reaches 10%, which is typical for laptops, the PC may have less than a minute to execute the shutdown.  Finally, it's a good idea to test the batteries periodically, as the charge meter is not always right.  I hope to write a post about that when I get time, maybe.

Sincerely,

Ron