[ale] Job change leads to job announcement

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Mon Feb 4 11:32:52 EST 2013

Congrats on the new job!
Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer
The University of Alabama

From: Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com<mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, February 4, 2013 10:29 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux! <ale at ale.org<mailto:ale at ale.org>>, "ale-jobs at mail.ale.org<mailto:ale-jobs at mail.ale.org>" <ale-jobs at mail.ale.org<mailto:ale-jobs at mail.ale.org>>
Subject: [ale] Job change leads to job announcement

I am leaving IBM to join a medical research think tank group at Emory.

That means my position at IBM is about to be available. Maybe. Not sure yet how they are going to do things. But at this moment, they are looking to add someone to keep my chair warm.

The position needs a person who is OK working with Microsoft (65%) and Linux (35%) (Mostly RedHat and CentOS and occasionally SuSE) and willing to poke around at AIX and maybe even smack a Cisco router with an upgrade. I was __W_A_Y__ overqualified. This would keep a "new person" hopping and a mid-level person very occupied. Lots of assorted tech to tinker with. Lots of virtual machine work (Vmware and oVirt/KVM) and OS updates and other assorted IT support "stuff".  Plus the winning entry gets to inherit the pile of bash scripts I wrote to automate as much of the Windows stuff as possible so I wouldn't have to touch it :-) .

Warning: email uses Lotus Notes which should be outlawed by the 1972 Geneva Convention on cruel and unusual workplace punishments.

Using Linux on your main desktop/laptop is very OK and actually encouraged. Win7 otherwise. There is an IBM supported version of RHEL that is very solid and usable (except for that Notes crap).

If you want to work at the former ISS location, hit me up off-line and I'll forward the info upstream. The external job notice is NOT out yet so my description may be crap. I've had a lot of fun getting to solve problems and create new solutions and poke with a wide mix of technologies. It's a good but of people to work with.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://electjimkinney.org
http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/