[ale] Presentation challenge

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Fri Feb 1 17:18:57 EST 2013

On 02/01/2013 04:40 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I figured out the screen on the install pretty quickly. Crap that had
> to be done was highlighted in red box. Once that was done, the
> highlight went away. Kind of bozo'ed to not have a linear process but
> at least it won't call a hard stop while a network address get's
> looked up or some other piddly thing. Would have been better to use
> full red/green nomenclature (crazy redneck Canadians ALWAYS make more
> sense :-)
>
> It _still_ G3 on the desktop. <sarcasm> I love all windows defaulting
> to full screen so all I have to do bounce back and forth between
> research screen and install screen is throw the mouse at the upper
> left corner and then select the correct shrunken screen from the dozen
> or so that I can't read and the rearrange if I kill a window so I can
> memorize by location </sarcasm>

Snip,

In my case, I wanted a complex disk layout, two LVs that were encrypted
and mounted to particular mounts.  I could do one, but never could
figure out how to do both (with one VG belonging to disk 1, 2, and 3 and
the other VG consisting of disk 4 or 5).  Stupid.

But I do agree with your assessment of the ease of use of Gnome or, for
that matter Unity.  It only takes three or four steps to do what used to
be just one step.  Nothing could be easier!  Genius!  A study in user
ergonomics.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon at damtek.com