[ale] [OT] how do I convert this web based book to pdf or doc

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:54:22 EST 2013

What you linked to isn't really an "ebook". Yeah, it's digital content
and they call it a "book," but eBooks have very specific formats.
Those formats _are_ just HTML/XHTML, but the files are organized
according to a standard. This website does not follow that standard at
all. The links I gave you should have made the process easier. 1)
Convert the CHM to HTML, 2) convert the HTML to PDF, and 3) print the
PDF. I believe you could have converted directly to PDF with the first
tool; but I've never used it.

As for people making eBooks easier to print -- good luck. The standard
isn't designed for such, and it's a copyright violation. DRM free
eBooks (e.g. all O'Reilly eBooks) are only DRM free so that you can
use them on any _electronic_ device you wish to read it on. They're
not DRM free so that you can print them.

That being said, using the second tool I linked to, Pandoc, you could
probably have made it even easier to print. Use Pandoc to convert the
HTML to LaTeX, which should strip out the circular links, and then
render the LaTeX to PDF.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/