[ale] List for C questions

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sat Dec 28 08:32:39 EST 2013

You already know this - don't reinvent the wheel.

Haven't been reading this thread too closely, so hope this isn't repeated info.

Don't really know any friendly forums ... stackoverflow?

Sedgewick's Algorithms in C book?
Any college library/CS dept should have a copy. I suspect 20 people on this list
have it.

O'Reilly has a book too, many professional memberships provide free access to
those books on the web.

http://www.cprogramming.com/algorithms-and-data-structures.html

http://c-algorithms.sourceforge.net/

I remember using "C/C++ Snippets" in the early 1990s. The code comments and
header info usually had pros/cons for using each.

Classic data structures are well covered, but the "big data" stuff is where I'd
look for Google tech talks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojEpiwytRNk

On 12/28/2013 01:42 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> First, no there's no reason to confine myself to a friendly venue but
> that's the easiest way to get a start without having to wear out the
> delete key.  I don't need a whole lot of help, just some suggestions and
> nudges in the right direction from time to time when the searches don't
> fully pan out.
>
> Second, the hash table is on topic if I'm asking about ways of
> implementing them in C not a hash table in general.  I understand hash
> tables, I just need to better understand the various ways they (and
> other searchable tables/lists) are implemented in C that would make
> sense for my application.
>
> On 12/27/2013 19:50, Ed Cashin wrote:
>> No, I don't, but two things:
>>
>> 1) Are you sure you want to confine yourself to friendly venues?  If
>> they're not accepting in general, you still might get some great info from
>> helpful individuals.  Around the turn of the millenium I got some great
>> info in comp.lang.c.moderated on usenet, which wasn't always accepting of
>> newbies at the time.
>>
>> 2) Your example wasn't strictly on-topic for a C discussion group.  A
>> question about hash table implementations is in the domain of data
>> structures and algorithms.  I don't know of a rusty-people accepting data
>> structures forum, either.  For data structures, I like books best, but
>> there are also MIT/UCB/Stanford lectures on YouTube that I manage to listen
>> to in the car as podcasts.  The lectures remind me, e.g., what a trie is
>> best at or that there's a special data structure for representing disjoint
>> sets.  I haven't found a good alternative than maintaining a mental index
>> of data structure choices, so that I know what to review when a problem is
>> begging for a particular data structure.
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Merry/Happy Everything to Everyone!
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a mailing list for C questions/tips that is
>>> accepting of very rusty people?  I don't write C enough to know what
>>> benefits and penalties exist for various implementations of concepts
>>> (e.g. hash tables) and sometimes what I find via searching isn't
>>> helpful.  I just don't want to spam this group since it's not Linux