[ale] LPI Certification Study Group

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 09:41:19 EST 2013

On Dec 20, 2013 6:42 PM, "H P Ladds" <householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:

> Couldn't it be possible to do a hybrid web based / bricks and mortar
study group? Allow a web based program to lead the study and have
designated time(s) and location(s) where the group would take the classes
together. Or develop our own curriculum for classroom study and allow web
participation in the classes?

> Also, is it alright if I "test the waters" of an LPIC study group with
other computer enthusiasts? I'm willing to bet we'll find a few other
interested parties at DC 404, the various open source software user groups,
etc.

> Freeside Atlanta will likely donate it's (crude but effective) classrooms
and/or auditorium to the study group.

> Cheers,
> Preston
>

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some folks here are interested in an LPIC study group as well. That
>> makes face to face difficult with ALE but I'm wondering if we can do
>> this with focused study areas and a mentor/coach type process.
>>
>> I have no problems helping spin things up and taking point. Given the
>> intellect and experience I've seen exposed here a one man show would
>> be a  disservice to the learners.
>>
>> Does anyone see an insurmountable issue with distance coaching? Who
>> would want to learn, who would want to mentor?
>>
>> Feel free to ping me off line if you need.
>>
>> Leam
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Crawford Rainwater
>> <crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:
>> > Folks:
>> >
>> > JD is referring to me and my company (Linux ETC) for doing a "study
group".  Linux ETC could put together something based off of our "self
paced mentoring" program which would include the following:
>> > - LPIC-1 eBook via O'Reilly.
>> > - Linux ETC's LiveUSB key (Knoppix based).
>> > - Online learning environment based off of the text.
>> > - Virtual training environment.
>> > - Mentors/instructors available in a variety of ways depending on the
individual/group needs.
>> > - Web conferencing sessions for "group sessions".
>> >
>> > The above of course is not free for Linux ETC of course, thus we would
need to charge for the services.  The pricing we have for this on an
individual basis is $1995 for LPIC-1, with the mentoring being over a one
year period (or ~$167/month).  Ideally though, the normal pace of most
students, the time frame is actually 2.5-3 months from start to finish for
"full completion" of the course.  I will also say that the "self paced with
mentoring" is not meant for everyone since it requires a student that can
learn on his/her own a bit more so, versus the "classroom model" being the
opposite of having "face to face instructor time".

>> > I am open to discussing this on the list as well as off list with
those who are interested.  I have offered a discount for the LUG in the
past (I believe it was 10% off or $200 off), which I can do as well.  I do
receive the ALE list in Digest format, so pardon any delays in responding
to posts from the list in advance.

>> > --- Crawford
>> >
>> > --
>> > The Linux ETC Company
>> > 10121 Yates Court
>> > Westminster, CO 80031 USA
>> > voice:  +1.303.604.2550
>> > web:    http://www.linux-etc.com
>> >
>> > Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be
friendly to the environment by saving paper.

I got the idea the CompTIA Linux+ was just a repackaging of LPIC1. Is that
true? I had been thinking about doing something with CompTIA, mostly
because the A+ is my first and only cert to date.

- Wolf