[ale] LPI Certification Study Group

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Dec 20 15:16:46 EST 2013

Leam and company:

While I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, there are pros/cons indeed with a focal or main trainer.  Inviting subject matter experts in to discuss topics, such as LUG meetings is one thing.  However, there are also subject matter experts that cannot present nor communicate properly to convey the knowledge onto others in a learning capacity.  That said, within Linux ETC we have a specific teaching/training methodology and all of us work on a similar "wavelength" as a cooperative.  While some practical examples given will vary between trainer to trainer, the core topics and methods are the same.  So in the event one of my trainers is unable to teach that day, another can step in and continue a program quite easily.  Linux ETC has also been doing training in Linux since 2001, so there is experience here.

Since ALE is a LUG with various meeting locations across the Atlanta area, and there are members who probably do not wish to sit in traffic on a week night commuting around town (yes, I have unfortunately sat in the same said traffic nor care to repeat such), using online training methods help in quite a few ways and makes things somewhat easier for all as a whole.  In comparison, the cost of a training facility as well as systems for students to learn on are not easy to come by ($12k/week for 12 students classroom on average back in 2010 before Linux ETC moved everything to "online" and "virtual").  I know for InstallFests that some community colleges are okay with donating a few things such as KVM equipment (keyboard, video, mouse that is) and internet connectivity for an afternoon on a weekend.  However, these some facilities are often reluctant due to other requirements and needs of the facility.  With the online training methods, all one needs is a Java friendly web browser on any system with a relatively decent internet connection.  The cost is considerably less with such, which is one of Linux ETC's primary purposes ("cost effective solutions").

Just putting more items on the table with such a request since not everyone will see a majority of the needs nor angles that need to be covered when doing a training/study group.

FWIW.

--- Crawford

--
The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.