[ale] First time setting up mail server (postfix & dovecat)

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue Dec 17 11:30:44 EST 2013

To expand on that.  In DNS you have to have an A record for “mail.example.com” that tells it what IP to use for that FQDN hostname.   You ALSO have to have an MX record that tells it your main mail server record is mail.exmaple.com.

For a BIND 9.x zone file for domain, example.com the records would look something like:

; Mail Servers
;
                   IN MX   10      mail.example.com       ; Main Mail Exchange record
; A records
mail            IN A    x.x.x.x                                          ; IP for main mail server

In the above the x.x.x.x should be whatever your IP is.    The semicolons and what follows them are comments and can be left out but if includes must have the semicolon.
The 10 after the MX is a priority.   If you have multiple mail servers you can give them different priorities with the lower numbers being the most preferred so people sending you use the preferred one if available.
Also notice that in the A record it has “mail” and NOT “mail.example.com”.   This is because the zone is example.com and will automatically append example.com to anything in the left column so long as it isn’t terminated with a dot.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.
5660 New Northside Drive NW