[ale] First time setting up mail server (postfix & dovecat)

Adrya Stembridge adrya.stembridge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 11:02:06 EST 2013

I'm attempting to set up my trac installation to accept replies via email.
  This is the first time configuring a machine to receive mail, and I have
a noobish question.

In postfix/main.conf I am asked to provide "myhostname", which the examples
show as 'mail.example.com'.   The next config item is "mydomain", which the
examples show as 'example.com'.

I don't expect much inbound mail traffic.   Is it necessary to have a
subdomain for mail to be received?  If not, is there any gotchas with
having identical values for "myhostname" and "mydomain"?

PS: I'm actually able to establish a connection to my server both locally
and remote using "telnet example.com 143" even though my "myhostname" value
is 'mail.example.com'.   The connection fails with "telnet
mail.example.com 143"
since that subdomain is not configured in DNS.

Thanks.